It’s that time of year where everybody makes New Year’s resolutions to improve their health, financial situation or anything else they want to improve. But what about residential or commercial business security resolutions?
Just like yourself, your home, car or business (if you own one) should change for the better when it comes to security and safety; especially if they were victimized in 2015. So in the spirit of the New Year, here are some security resolutions from Aim Lock & Safe for your home, car or business you can actually keep this year.
For the home
You spend more time at home than you do anywhere else. It makes sense, then that you should feel exceptionally safe and secure whenever you’re there. Chances are, your house could use a safety or security upgrade. If that’s the case, here are some things you can do right now (and all year long) to make it happen:
- Book a security consultation: You may think your home is secure. But an on-site security consultation will tell you for sure if your doors, windows and locks are in good condition.
- Pack a home safety kit: In case of an emergency (such as the power going out) a safety kit with blankets, bottled water, non-perishable food and flashlights can keep your family comfortable.
- Always lock your doors: It seems obvious. But in the hustle and bustle of everyday living, you may forget. All it takes is a one unlocked door to potentially cause a break-in.
- Learn CPR: It’s a great skill to have. In fact, even children as young as 10 years old can be taught proper CPR techniques.
- Get those old doors and frames repaired: If you have old doors and frames which don’t close or work properly, then it’s finally time to get them fixed once and for all.
- Invest in a home safe: If your valuables are out in the open, then anyone can get to them. A solid home safe is the perfect storage solution for documents, jewelry and other items.
Security for the car
We drive so much every single day that we normally don’t think about car security. Usually, we believe that locking it up at night is enough. It certainly helps. But there are other safety initiatives you can take to make driving and parking your car safer:
- Take stock of your car keys: Make sure none of your automotive keys are missing. And make sure you know who has access to them at all times.
- Eyes on the road: When driving, put the cellphone down and focus on the road. In Ontario, if you’re caught using your phone and driving, it’s a minimum $490 fine.
- Secure those car seats: After a while, child car seats will become loose. Take a moment to tighten them up.
- Create a car escape kit: Hopefully you’ll never use it. But a kit with a glass shattering hammer and seat belt cutter can help you get out of an emergency situation.
- Get that faulty door lock fixed: If your car door frequently sticks or seizes, then it isn’t safe. Make an appointment to get the automotive door lock fixed once and for all.
Security for your commercial business
If you own a business, then you know that it’s your livelihood and identity, all wrapped up in one. So it makes sense, then, to resolve to make it safer and more secure for you, your inventory and your employees. Here are some things you can do right now to make that happen:
- Make your business accessible: In Ontario, the law stipulates that all businesses must be accessible by 2025. Why wait? Start now by installing handicap door operators.
- Get a commercial safe: Whether its petty cash, specialized inventory or other key documents, keep them out of sight from unauthorized personnel with a commercial safe.
- Upgrade to commercial grade doors and locks: Residential locks may not be up to the job or securing your commercial property. Commercial doors and locks are, however.
- Improve access control: Are you finding that employees and/or customers sometimes end up where they shouldn’t be? Fix that with a custom access control
- Train your staff: Have periodic fire drills. Train them how to react in case of a crime. Show them the proper way to handle any potential emergency which could occur.
For peace of mind….
You’ve got a lot to think about during the year. By making some safety resolutions now, you can cross thinking about security off your list. Plus, you’ll be establishing good safety habits too. Let Aim Lock & Safe help. Contact us for a FREE quote on any of our security products or services.